NSPOT offer intensive Aquatic OT and Speech Therapy programs every set of school holidays. This is geared to children with Autism Spectrum Disorder, Sensory Processing / regulation disorder, and children with severe language delay.
Most children with autism also experience varying degrees of sensory integration disorder. This is the inability to effectively take in, organise, and respond to sensory input. When kids with Autism have meltdowns, it’s quite often because of a sensory processing disorder that has been triggered.
What are the benefits of Aquatic OT and speech therapy?
Being submerged in water provides calming support, pressure, and buoyancy that helps kids on the autism spectrum develop their sensory processing skills, strengthen their social skills and self-regulation abilities. It also provides many opportunities for the child to request that the activity continues.
Other benefits of aquatic OT and speech therapy include:
- better moods and concentration
- better focusing abilities
- better sensory processing abilities.
- better body awareness and touch tolerance
- better ability to cooperate
- increased interest in imaginative and group play
- improved ability to coordinate all of the different sensory inputs received from the environment and focus on the correct one
- after aquatic OT and speech therapy, children with autism are quite often more talkative and social.
Please give us a call if you have any questions about our program.